Tuesday 18 January 2011

freelancing in the creative industries

The thing I thought this day of lectures highlighted most was the large disparity between the very safe, university art environment in which I'm practising now, and the much more business-oriented creative industry that I'll find myself in at the end of my degree. I think it reinforced my suspicion that I'll be more likely to find a niche or output as something like an illustrator much more easily than I'll successfully find my way onto gallery walls. It's made me further think about how I'll eventually have to pitch and sell my skills and artwork, and how I'll have to stand out in what seems to be a very large, competitive market. Ultimately though, I found the experience very tedious, and felt it was better suited to students in the more practical courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment