Wednesday 11 May 2011

mementos


Mementos was an exhibition by Pip Dye and Matt Weir held in 10 Edge Lane, in my house. Mementos has probably been my favourite of the student-led exhibitions this year. The works, that both address a sense of nostalgia and memory, felt appropriate in the dilapidated, high-ceilinged, sparse spaces. Pip and Matt were forced into using the house because their arrangement with Casa de Brujas fell through, although I think Pip's work especially felt much more natural and believable in a home setting. Matt's films were accomplished and immersive, and I think the sit-down viewing format worked in their favour. There was an easy-going atmosphere to the event that was unlike any other exhibition, as we were all amongst friends, at home, and drinking. The bonfire was a particularly appropriate touch - they evoke a certain kind of warm reminiscence that, I thought, was a really astute addition to the evening. One to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment